‘Data’ seems to be the buzzword these days. It’s something that every business generates and collects a lot of, whether it belongs to customers, clients or the business itself. That data can create a lot of issues if it isn’t properly disposed of and a paper shredding service is really the only way to ensure that happens. Working with a shredding service can also help to improve the efficiency and social responsibility of your business too.
Why use a paper shredding service?
- Protection for your staff and customers. Businesses hold and generate a lot of data about staff, from payroll records to address details and appraisal content. The same goes for clients and customers – you may have a wealth of documents that could reveal a lot about your clients in the wrong hands, from bank details for the business to competitive strategy. The only way to protect the organisations and people who are so important to your business is to have a robust data handling infrastructure in place that includes access to a secure shredding service.
- Ensuring legal compliance. While data protection legislation in the UK has always required businesses to be cautious about the way documents are disposed of, the arrival of the GDPR in 2018 made this even more important. There are now significant fines for those entities that don’t take proper care of data, especially when it comes to ensuring that it has been properly disposed of.
- Avoiding business identity theft. Instances of business identity theft are on the rise in the UK and it doesn’t take much information for fraudsters to be able to set up as a fake version of your enterprise. Although many offices today aim to be paperless there are still a large number of documents in daily circulation and if these are not professionally disposed of they can present opportunities for enterprising criminals.
- Streamline your business. On a practical level, holding on to boxes of documents creates a fire hazard and can take up a lot of space that could be used for other things. A paper shredding service helps to ensure that you remain on top of shredding commitments and that you’re not wasting room in your office that could be better used.
- Be more socially responsible. Working with a shredding service will enable your business to improve its environmental commitment and be more socially responsible – shredded paper is recycled and doesn’t end up in landfill.
- Moving on from an office shredder. If you’ve historically handled shredding in-house there are some good reasons to move to a shredding service. For example, you’ll no longer have to maintain, replace and repair equipment, commit staff to handle the shredding process or run the risk that it won’t be properly carried out. Plus, you’ll always be able to prove compliance with a shredding service in a way that simply isn’t possible if you’re relying on the task being completed in-house.
Working with a paper shredding service can help your business to evolve to be more efficient, streamlined and compliant.
Get in touch with Shred-on-Site today for all your on-site shredding needs.